Hello, Is it dark and dank where you are? Or is it just me! I get the ‘Winter Blues’‘sad syndrome..call it what you will; but as soon as those clocks go back in October, I start to brood about sunlight and warmth . The only bright spot is thinking about how to wrap up in style while working through the day and hopefully enjoying some upcoming festive cheer, come nightfall, nearer to Christmas.
I believe that Autumn and winter offer the most opportunity for looking your best. Theres so much more choice in the shops , and its fun trying to create a new look with your old wardrobe but investing in some new must- haves to perk them up.
Fashion victims follow each and every trend , no matter how outrageous and in what bad taste. Think of people you know who may fit this category. Do they always get it right , or hardly ever? In my experience; hardly ever. There’s a fine balance between looking’ fashionable’ and looking stylish.
Spot the difference
My Five top tips for developing a chic and fashionable style this winter 11
- Fetish trends- not always easy to wear leather and corsets. Try finding a dress or separates that encompass some of the trend of leather and lace and ribbon, and stick to black, but and soften the overall look with classic high heels and soft feminine makeup with subtle shades, rather than vampish red lips and over trendy shoes.
- Hats- Berets and beanies, cloches and caps, trilbies and trappers - hats in every size,shape and style are the ultimate for headwear this season. You KNOW if your head can take a hat…wear one by all means, but get it right and ensure you are wearing like for like clothing to complete the outfit depending on whether its smart or casualwear. Hats need confidence and a definite style to work.
- Knee Highs-Im thrilled because I wear knee high boot EVERY winter and this year they are smack bang en vogue. Wear them with the latest midi skirts, with classic dresses, over jeans and jumpers or with leggings and outsize slouchy cashmere for a sassy but gorgeous look this season.
- Coats- this is maybe the one main investment piece you make in your wardrobe this year. A super stylish coat ; a quality piece fashioned out of cashmere and wool, or shearling for glamour and snuggability. Floor- grazing coats or midi length coats are all the rage this season. Easy fit but with some definition. Get ahead and get a coat.
- Shapewear- Finally, finish your look with a hidden extra layer that gives you warmth, coupled with comfort and a lean silhouette. Invest in quality shapewear that works hard for you without giving up your winter warmer festive season food treats. Ssssh…..noone will ever know.
Dom&Ruby AW11 3/4 Celebrity
Written by Ruby Malik on November 13, 2011